Thursday, September 30, 2010

Goodwill, The Dollar Store & My Attic

I'm in the process of decorating the house for fall. I'm wanting to do something a little different from previous years without spending a bunch of $$$, so I've been busy crafting and re-purposing and creating. Here are a couple of my favorite projects.


A couple Dollar Store vases like this...




Along with a couple Dollar Store candlesticks...




And a little Gorilla Glue (this stuff is awesome, and I swear you could build a house with it)...




TaDa! An apothecary-esque jar!




I love how they look on the table in our foyer. Everything inside them and on the table is stuff I already had, for a grand total of $3.50. My favorite thing about these is that I can use them all year round. I think they'll be especially pretty at Christmas.






This is my mantle from last year. I did pretty much the same thing the year before that, so I wanted a new look this year. I haven't actually done anything to the mantle yet, but see those 3 pumpkins made out of sticks (2 on the left and 1 beside the lantern)? I turned them into a pumpkin topiary.




First, I painted the leaves green. They were orange (not really sure why, and not really sure why I allowed them to stay orange the last 3 years either), which matched absolutely nothing in my house.




Then I took this little urn, which I got at Goodwill for $0.50, took out the moss and styrofoam, weighted it with some rice so that the topiary wouldn't be too top heavy, and then hot glued the moss and styrofoam back in.




Finally, I hot glued (my hot glue gun really got put to work today) the 3 pumpkins onto the top of the urn and then added some leaves and berries and twiggy things. Here's the final product.



This is one of my favorite things that I've ever made. I love how it turned out! The best part is that it cost me $0.50 (the cost of the urn). I already had everything else and just re-purposed it all.

2 comments:

  1. A.MAZ.ING! Now will you come decorate my house? I have ZERO motivation right now, and I could use a crafting buddy! Oh, about those candle sticks from the dollar store...at the craft show that I was this past weekend, a lady had taken candlesticks like that and glued them onto plates, so they looked like cake stands (she did some 3-tiered ones too)! It was adorable! Your house looks fabulous! Maybe now I will at least put out a wreath! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad I have a crafty friend because I have absolutley NO talent for making things. So, I am using some of your ideas. Too bad I can't do the pumpkin topiary thingy because it's my favorite. Guess I'll just have to wait for 4-5 years and buy it from your yardsale. This time, I'll get it before you sell it to someone for $1 :)

    ReplyDelete